Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Tori's birthday








Well, these aren't quite showing up in the right order, but Tori had an eventful birthday. She mostly wanted a guinea pig and saved up her money for it and Ryan and I reluctantly agreed on the purchase and she chose to have a small party. She started the day off by choosing pink pancakes for her breakfast and skilfully wrote her own name out of batter. Her best friend, Sienna, came over for cake and some other neighbor boys dropped in as well. It was a fun Saturday! She said it was her best birthday ever because she finally had a pet of her very own, a "dream come true." The Monday night following, she hollered for Ryan to come into her room, and she said, "something's wrong with my guinea pig." Ryan wants me to say he gave it mouth to mouth and saved the day, but he'll leave that business to Dr. Torrie. Sadly it was dying and couldn't walk or eat. We tried for a couple of hours to feed it water from a syringe and to get it strong enough to walk again but to no avail. Jinger died in Tori's arms. As we were laying it to rest in a cardboard box, through her tears she told me that on the phone Sunday night she had promised Grandma Torrie that she would take a picture of her guinea pig. I asked her if she really wanted me to take a picture of her at that point, but she had made a promise! So, the sad, sad picture is for Grandma! I wouldn't normally take a picture like that! The blonde guinea pig is the one that the pet store gave to Tori to console her over her loss. Its name is Peaches and is thankfully still alive after almost a month! Peaches has dried Tori's tears! Love you all! And Tori, we are so, so, so glad you are part of our family! I love your sweet little love notes and carefully drawn pictures that you leave almost daily for Dad and I, often on my pillow. I admire your determination and strong will. You have a beautiful gift of singing and hearing melodies that I hope you will choose to always bless others' lives with. You have your Grandpa Torrie's clear blue eyes, and I hope that you will stay as close to our Savior as he has. Love and Hugs