Friday, July 9, 2010

Life - not always what you planned on!

First of all, I'm going to back pedal and try to remember the highlights of our July 4th weekend....

*Took a drive up to Kolob Reservoir from Toquerville - a first for me - spectacular scenery - Loved it!!  Did get lost and was told by a gentlemen on the side of the road that the body of water off to my right was Kolob Reservoir.  I spent an hour trying to find public access to it because every road that led to the lake had a chain across it and a "private property" sign.  Come to find out it wasn't Kolob Reservoir; it was Blue Springs Lake, a private lake 1-1/2 miles before you reach Kolob... go figure.  Word of advice:  Don't listen to men on the side of the road :).  Take a man from home with you next time!

*Saturday Ry and I went to a movie with the kids and then spent the afternoon with them playing at the new "Lake on the Hill" in Cedar City.  Visited with great friends and got lots of sunburns.  Loved it.

*Sunday my cousin, Scott Torrie, and his wife Mikjan and her sister, Katie Jo, and her parents, Paul and Christine, come to church with us.  They were camping up at Navajo Lake and wanted to come down for Sunday meetings...Afterwards we had dinner and spent a heartwarming afternoon visiting with them.  Mikjan's family is completely amazing.  It seemed like we had known them forever, and her parents are some of those people that you just feel honored to be in the presence of.  Chris talked to us about how they couldn't have children for 12 years, adopted a 9 and 10 year old who had suffered every kind of abuse.  As 16 year old teenagers they both left and have never been heard of since.  She shared how devastating all of that was and how she felt like she had turned into a stone that could never love again.  Out of the blue she finally got pregnant with Mikjan, and as the baby grew and began to move inside her she began to "thaw" out and felt love once again enter her heart.  As she shared this story and others with tears coursing down her cheeks, you just couldn't help but fall in love with her.  Anyway, they are all angels and it was so delightful to spend the afternoon with them.

*Monday Ryan and I and the kids walked in the parade with my friend, Becki Bronson, and her family and friends.  She is runing for school board, and I'm so proud of her!  It takes so much courage, time, research, and effort!!  Go Becki!  The kids loved it, and it was Ryan's first "being in a parade" experience.  Humorous!  At one point I started passing out fliers and accidentally forgot about Derek and the stroller at least a block behind.  Ooops!!  Embarrassing!!  Becki and I ran back frantically searching the sea of people and found him being guarded by an unknown lady...Nice parenting, eh?  I told Becki I was so glad it was her name on my T-shirt and not my own :).  Then near the end of the parade route, I was walking right behind Ryan when he stepped backward and hit the stroller and knocked it over with Derek greeting the pavement with his face.  Screaming occurred of course.  Eventually, despite some road rash, Derek was up on Daddy's shoulders and smiling again (he opted to abandon the stroller). 

We went back to the lake again later with the kiddies.  It was so fun to have something/somewhere else to take the family for some good old-fashioned fun.  The boys have caught a few fish there since, and the girls love swimming and playing in the sand.

Okay, boring without pictures, I know!!  I put my camera back in my purse today, so I'm ready to blog for real again!



Now, for some "life" stories....Sunday, Ryan and I fasted and prayed to know how to financially take better care of our family and become more self-reliant.  As you all know, the economy has taken a baseball bat to the building industry around here, and it has been rather tough for us.  The Lord has always made sure we've been taken care of, but we felt like it was time that we needed to seek some more help.  On Wednesday, I was at the post office and walked past a pharmacist I know and said hi.  He is from Panguitch, and is friends with Ryan and his Dad, and he and his sons hunt with the Henries every year.  Anyway, about a half hour later he called Ryan and offered me a part-time job as a pharmacy compounding technician at their pharmacy.  I was shocked and really surprised.  First of all because I used to be a tech but let my license expire 9 years ago when I decided to stay at home and do medical transcription in Idaho.  Secondly, I didn't think my prayers and fasting would get answered in that way.  I thought it would be some way for Ryan to make more money or for both of us together to do something.  I didn't think it would be another job for me...So, needless to say it caught me off guard.  I have always wanted to be home with our kids, and it was really hard for me to figure out how to still put being a wife and Mom first and do what I felt like the Lord was telling me to do.  For the past 2-1/2 days I have been agonizing/deliberating/debating with myself/weighing pros and cons/praying/pondering/attending temple -  you know the routine!!  I knew something would have to give if I took this job.  I didn't want it to be my family.  I still don't have all the details figured out yet as far as the rest of my life and the other jobs I have, but after a blessing from Ryan last night and a family discussion, I have felt great peace about accepting the job and will start next Tueday.  It's always interesting to see what life sends your way, isn't it??  It's never boring that's for sure!  Ryan has been so supportive and just told me it was totally up to me.  The kids all wanted me to take the job and told me if I fasted and prayed about it, then it must have been an answer....Anyway, we're going to jump in with both feet.  I LOVE MY FAMILY!!!!  What would I do without them?!?!

Well, thanks for reading this long-winded post!  I love ya always and forever~

P.S.  I am grateful that my dear friend, Connie Heap, told me to read the book, “The Hiding Place” last week. It was perfect timing to be reading it, just as I was facing this decision in my life. It reminded me that through Christ I can do hard things, and that life could be so much worse. As Betsie and Corrie Tenboom thanked God in all things, even the fleas in a German concentration camp, it prompted me to write this list, to constantly dwell on the many rich blessings the Lord has granted me in my life. I am so blessed! ~ Here is my thankful for list:

I will appreciate my children more.


We will be able to get health insurance for our family.

We will be able to afford an 8 or 9-passenger vehicle when our van blows up.

Our children will learn more responsibility.

I will be continuing my education and renewing my pharmacy technician license.

I will be working for a family I know and trust in a safe, clean, and cheerful environment.

I was given a blessing to know that my husband would support and sustain and help me to care for our children and home. In that blessing I was promised overwhelming peace. I also felt in my heart that it was the only way to get where we need to be.

My schedule is somewhat flexible.

In the fall, the kids will all be at school while I'm working.

I have terrific friends who have offered to help out with tending and transcription, etc.

I love pharmacy and found it fascinating when I worked as a tech 10 years ago. It was one of my favorite jobs ever. I love to learn new things.

I am in great health and was blessed to have the strength and energy I will need to do this.