Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Gramps and Grams









This past week we had my parents staying here with us.  Bless their hearts - we felt so loved and spoiled and watched over.  It was Dad's birthday the night they arrived, so we tried to spoil him with a whole wheat carrot cake.  The middle sunk as I had never tried the whole wheat version, but thanks to lots of cream cheese frosting, it wasn't quite so noticeable!  I am so proud of them for serving a mission in Nauvoo!!  It wasn't easy!  They worked LONG hours from sun up until sundown!  I am so grateful for their example to me and to our children.  It really was a heavenly blessing to have them here with us.  I kept Derek home from preschool so he could spend time with and get to know Grandpa and Grandma.  They tended to his every need and want!  Mom also kept every speck of laundry caught up, bottled some of our tomatoes, read with Tori and Tess, cleaned house, you name it!  Dad fixed my kitchen faucet, built new shelves in a closet, helped fix our leaky tub, found a hubcap from the wrecker to go on my van, worked wtih Ryan and fixed the back door of my van that refused to open, and was an adorable all-around grandpa!! 


The poor sweeties probably got footballed out!  I believe they attended five football games in seven days!  It was so fun to hear Mom cheer, I must say.  I haven't attended a sporting event with her since high school.  Let's just say Mom has spirit!!!  You want her on YOUR SIDE!!  Lots of laughs!  She loves her grandkids! 

I do have to mention a quick ode to football.  The first football game I EVER saw was when I went to Ricks College.  I recall my first football date.  It was to a BYU game.  My date had bought these huge inflatable helmets that he insisted we wear so that "the TV cameras would zoom in on us."  I was MOR-TI-FIED!!  My hair due those days meant much more to me than it should have, but I was dying that I had to wear the helmet and haven't care much for the game ever since!  This year football has been a haven for me.  It is somewhere I don't have to think about work, where I can cheer for my two big sons, snuggle my littlest one, and sit side by side with my sweetheart and hold my daughters tight.  One of those unexpected things I am so grateful for. 

I also need to mention how much I loved watching general conference.  I love how it buoys and lifts my spirits and encourages me to do better, love more, try harder.  Elder Holland's talk offered me great comfort.  I loved the story of sacrifice that he shared of his parents while he was on his mission.  It inspired me to not complain and to be grateful for the small sacrifices I am asked to make for our children.  It's late and time for some zzzzzz's, but I've missed blogging, missed watching for those sweet moments in life that I wish were frozen in time.  I'll do better!! 

Thanks again Mom and Dad.  Your time here was treasured!

Love always~