Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Tuesday Treat!! (Believe it or not) Chewy Energy Bars

Ok, I am tired of letting my work run my life, so I am determined to still do some of the things I love, like baking!  We tried these, and they were so yummy and pretty healthy as far as kids' snacks are concerned.  Try 'em!!

Chewy Energy Bars
2-1/2 c. crisp rice cereal (I used generic Rice Krispies)
2 c. old fashioned oats
1/4 c. toasted wheat germ
1 c. corn syrup (I used 1/2 c. corn syrup and 1/2 c. honey I believe)
1 c. peanut butter
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract

In a large bowl, combine the cereal, oats, and wheat germ.  In a small saucepan, combine the corn syrup, peanut butter, and brown sugar.  Cook over medium heat until PB is melted, stirring occasionally.  Remove from the heat.  Stir in vanilla.  Pour over cereal mixture; mix well. 

Transfer to a greased 9 inch square pan (I doubled the recipe and put it in a 9 x 13 pan).  Gently press cereal mixture into pan.  Cool completely.  Cut into bars or roll into balls.