Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Tuesday Treat

Hi, ever since I got gestational diabetes, my body hasn't been able to handle sugar very well.  I get these nasty headaches when I eat sweets.  Well, I LOVE to bake and eat sweets, so I have been on a quest to try to bake a little healthier and with a little less sugar. From now on, I'm going to post a Tuesday treat - Each Tuesday I'll try a new and healthy and hopefully delicious recipe.  This week I tried this divine coconut-glazed banana cake recipe of my Mom's with 100% whole wheat flour.  I didn't get a picture taken before it was all ingested, but from now on I'll add pictures.  I have to say, the original recipe is fabulous too (that uses white flour), so if you don't have wheat flour or a wheat grinder, just use your white flour.  It is definitely worth trying!  The 100% whole wheat version was really yummy.  I ground my own white wheat.  I haven't tried it with 100% whole red wheat.  Here you go:

Coconut-Glazed Banana Cake
3-4 large mashed bananas
1 tsp. baking soda
*Mix those together and set aside.

1 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter
1 egg
1tsp. baking powder
*Cream these ingredients and then add to banana mixture

Add
2 c. whole wheat flour
pinch salt

Bake at 350 degrees for 27-30 minutes.
--------------------------------------------

Broiled Coconut Glaze
6 Tbsp. brown sugar
4 T. butter
3 T. cream or milk
1 c. coconut

Spread on hot cake and put under broiler until bubbly.
Mmmm Mmmm Good!!