Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Salute to salted butter


From puppet shows



to iPod dance-a-thons


And air conditioned muscle men
it was a full Tuesday....

Then I remembered it was Treat Tuesday

I decided to make some cinnamon buns.  I was looking at a friend of mine's website who used to live in our ward, and she had posted a caramel monkey bread recipe.  I didn't have everything I needed to make those, so I altered the recipe, added some wheat flour, used powdered milk, and turned them into cinnamon buns with a glaze.   You should really check out her website called http://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/.  It has a ton of fantastic recipes on it.  Anyway.....


I rolled 'em out

Let 'em rise

Baked 'em


Glazed 'em
And then.....just as I'm about to sink my teeth into them, I gaze down at the dough recipe and realize to my utter horror I left out the eggs and salt.????Seriously????  Missed two ingredients???  My Tuesday treat is turning into a gong show!  Now, I have to say that I debated whether or not to share this with you, because to look at them you'd never know!!  However, honesty won over.  I was scared to taste one.  If you've baked rolls without salt, you know what I mean.  And yes, this was not a first time salt-free error for me!!  They looked too good to not taste, though, so I took one bite, and then another, and then another, and they were actually scrumptious!!!  I do believe that because the dough called for some butter and I used salted butter, then I rolled them out and slathered them with salted butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon, and then the glaze had salted butter in it, you couldn't tell I had forgotten the salt!!  As for the eggs, I have no idea why the dough still turned out, but, for tonight, I offer a humble salute to salted butter :)