Monday, April 5, 2010

For Wayne


I want to dedicate this blog to my sweet 16-year-old nephew, Wayne Julien Torrie, who passed away last week.  My brother, his Dad, Mel, in his obituary and in his incredible funeral talk asked us commit to doing something in our lives better because of Wayne.  I have been a lousy blogger and still don't know what I'm doing, but for Wayne I am going to work harder at documenting and journaling the fun and significant events in my family's lives.  I still have a hard time comprehending that I'm not going to see Wayne again for quite some time...  I have thought about the last hours of his life and his funeral and the time spent with our family all together in Logan almost constantly this past week.  The two most predominant things I have thought about have been bravery and trust, for I have never witnessed such bravery in my life than what I witnessed the hours I spent with Raeghn, Wayne's amazing Mother, at the hospital while Wayne was on life support.  Truly, I do not know how she did it.  I do not know how she calmly sat next to her firstborn son, holding his hand, with her dear husband stranded a state away, and strengthened us.  I will never forget her telling us all of the wonderful things about him, from his birth until that point.  About all of the friends he had touched, about how he had recently finished reading the Book of Mormon, about how much he loved his new little baby sister, Kaera.  She repeated frequently, "He was such a good boy," and truly Wayne you are.  I considered  it a sacred privelege to be there in that room that night.  I was so grateful for my brother Mitch, and my sister-in-law, Chass.  It is a memory none of us will forget, as painful and heartbreaking and mind numbing as it was, it also was such a peaceful and spiritual event.  Again, Raeghn taught me so much that night and in the days to follow.  At the funeral, I again witnessed bravery in my oldest brother that made its mark on my heart forever.  I don't know how he had the strength to speak at his own son's funeral, but it wouldn't have been the same if he wouldn't have.  I do believe both he and Raeghn had angels round about them.  His talk was so incredible.  It was gut wrenching and heart wrenching and made me bawl, but again, at the same time, it was inspiring and uplifting and spoke of hope and becoming better people to "pick up the slack" that would be left in Wayne's absence.  I know I would not have been as faithful and brave as they were if I was in the same situation.  I am only grateful that I have their example to look to and remember whenever I feel like I am having a bad day.  Their trust and faith in God and His will in their lives and the life of their son is something I will always, always remember.