Thursday, April 15, 2010

Ry Guy Flying High

Saturday is Ryan's birthday, so I am going to dedicate a few posts to my Sweets...And to all y'all who can't stand the mush, I really apologize!  You will want to skip this post!  Okay, for you romantics out there, I truly love this guy with all my heart.  I love him for so many things 1.  For wanting to experiencing life in its fullest, holding back nothing.  I am a wimp.  I walk the safe, boring path most days, but Ryan makes my life Fun!  He teases me out of my comfort zone and that is where most of my fondest memories are born.  I love his adventurous spirit!  2.  I love his heart (ok, these aren't in the right order, this really is first).  Ryan is such a softy, especially where me and Tori and Tess are concerned!  He loves us girls and knows how to treat ladies.  Much of that is thanks to his saint of a father and mother who taught him so well through their example.  I loved watching Mom and Dad Henrie together.  They believed in romance and were always so tender, thoughtful, and respectful of each other and just so darn cute.  Ryan is also thoughtful, kind, generous, and truly would do anything for me.  I probably take advantage of that once in a while, but I sure appreciate it!  3.  I love his hands.  Ryan is a carpenter/cabinet maker, so his hands are rough and tough looking, but in reality they are the opposite, so gentle and sweet.  He is always serving someone and much of the time me.  Love those hands.  4.  I love his sense of humor.  Ry and I only dated for two months before we got engaged, and I honestly didn't even know he had a sense of humor.  He was really quiet and pretty reserved most of the time and let me do all the yakking, so as time went by in our engagement, I was delighted to get to know his hilarious side!  He has this kind of old cowboy humor thanks to Grandpa Henrie and again never lets me take life too seriously, hallelujah!  Love it.  5.  I love his humility.  His humility is one of the first things that attracted me to him.  My Sweetheart doesn't know how amazing he is.  In fact, many days he feels the opposite, but I pray that if he doesn't ever believe me in this life, that in the next life he will fully understand that he is everything to me and our kiddos and such a blessing to so many people.  I thank my Father in Heaven every day for him.  6.  I know this is getting really long, so I'll start adding some pictures, but Ryan, I just love the way you love me.  You are the best friend I always dreamed of having.  Once in a while we have a rough day, but for the most part I just love being with you through the mundane or the exciting, it doesn't matter, just matters that it's you.

ok, thanks for your patience with my love letter there :).  Last year Ryan was blessed to embark on an amazing adventure!  He began to fly.  I've wanted to blog this for a while, so here goes. 

He had always wanted to be a pilot but never had the opportunity.  Through a myriad of miracles, it all began in St. George one sunny day last spring, and we were so excited Mom and Dad Torrie were there for Ryan's first intro. flight.  Perfect timing, as they came to visit us before they headed into the MTC in Provo and then out to Nauvoo, Illinois for their first LDS mission!  We love you two!  Thanks SO MUCH!!

Check out this smile!

Derek has fallen in love with airplanes!
Well, next came flight school.  We checked out two in St. George, but then Western Wings Aviation opened in Cedar City, and Ryan started there with a great instructor named Jeff Perkins.  The kids and I loved going to the airport to watch them take off and land, but we especially loved when he would come circle the house and tip his wings for us!
I finally got brave enough to go up with him and his instructor.  That was one of those days when I was so glad he pulled me up and out of my comfort zone!!  They heard plenty of screaming in their headsets, especially when they decided the "float the pencil" maneuver would be a fun one to try on me (check out that maneuver on youtube if you want to hurl), but it was a blast!
Well, there was no turning back after that.  Ryan used to say that he wanted to land the plane by himself so bad that his teeth hurt!  He got his chance!