Thursday, April 22, 2010

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmm

Check out this e-mail I just got....

REBECCA L HENRIE
973 S 860 W
CEDAR CITY UT 84720-3666

Dear REBECCA:

Thank you (no, Thank RYAN) for your recent applications  for the Big Game Drawing. Your results are: Appl # Hunt # Result---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

390192 362 ELK BULL SUCCESSFUL for hunt 362 PANGUITCH LAKE (EARLY) ????The heck????

390194 970 ROCKY MOUNTAIN GOAT UNSUCCESSFUL390193 989

GENERAL BUCK UNSUCCESSFUL---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok, so we all know what an elk is....
My sweet husband has been trying for 10 years to get the opportunity to shoot a bull elk.  There's some point system that I don't understand in the division of wildlife resources.  You earn a point a year and the more years you have been trying to draw out, the more points you have.  Something like that.......Our bishop has been trying for 16 years and just got his first tag this year.  Apparently Ryan has put me in for 2 years and I just drew out?!?  Ryan said he didn't know whether to cry because he still doesn't get to shoot one or to laugh because the odds of me drawing out were so stinking slim it's funny.  Ok, I feel exactly the same way, to laugh or to cry, except not for the same reasons!!  I mortally wounded a rabbit once that cried and made me about cry and then Ryan had to finish it off.  Beyond that, all I have killed are grasshoppers when I was in 5th grade and used to pull their legs off and feed them to my cat (okay, sick I know!!  my brothers warped me :) ), spiders, mice, ants, wasps, bees.  I think that's it.  Can I shoot a magnificent elk??  First of all, target practice is not my forte, second of all, the gun you have to use to shoot it is stinking heavy, and last of all, I think I'll cry to see it die!  I'll have to close my eyes and point and shoot like Ry's Dad taught me once!  So, there you have it.  Ryan told me I better act excited or else, so I complied and did an awesome victory dance for him, and the Bishop called me up and said that if I get a bigger elk than him I have to speak in church every Sunday for a month, so game on!!
Can't you just see me this fall, bathed in a bloody elk skin, antlers across my shoulders, hiking down the mountain in glory??

(one of Ryan's buddies)
or
posing with my children with an oh-so-attractive elk skull?

(one of Ryan's buddies' elk skulls!)

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM